One thing you should always remember before you start on the road to riches:
Sacrifice = Wealth
Somewhere in the hearts of all successful people is a "sliver of razored ice" (as Felix Dennis would have it) and this makes you a certain type of person – is that you?
Better to choose a different life then to have tried and placed your loved ones in harms way unless you can do all the following. If you can’t measure up to even one of these demands then give up your quest now and do something else for your own good:
- If you are unwilling to fail, sometimes publicly, and even catastrophically, you stand little chance of ever getting rich.
- You must be "compelled" towards your goal like it’s life or death not simply desire it or you will fail
- If you are not prepared to be fearless, do anything, go anywhere, grovel, beg, meet anyone (high or low) to create success you will never be rich
- If you care what others think you will never get rich
- If you can’t bear the thought of causing worry to your family, finds and loved ones while you plough a lonely, dangerous road rather than have a steady job – stop now
- If you are not prepared to work very long hours, under huge pressure with few resources despite the warnings and jibes of family, friends and colleagues you will never get rich
- If you do not have the right mind set to get rich (i.e. your subconscious mind seeks wealth) you will fail – see below
- If you cannot treat your quest to get rich as a "game" and also be philosophical about the road you travel you will fail
- If you can’t face up to your fear of failure (probably more than once) you will not get rich
- If you are concerned about the company you keep (lie down with dogs) you will never be rich
- If you are not prepared to risk your relationships with family, friends, children and your wife/partner chances are you will fail
- If you are at all faint hearted or lack an iron resolve to win by falling down and getting up again, against all the odds, then you will fail
- If you are concerned about your social life, your physical well being and your long holidays give up now – it will all be about "nose to the grindstone" too
- Are you prepared for schadenfreude – mockery, rejection and jealously – you will need to grow strong "mental armour"
So you know it’s going to be tough, really tough, and you know there’s a price to pay for your success but it’s more subtle than that. You have to set yourself up mentally to succeed too. If you believe in the power of the ‘universe’ to provide like I do then you will know that you have to set your subconscious mind on the road to riches with your physical body or you will likely fail too. You must have the right beliefs around money to prevent yourself from failing along with all the grit, drive and sacrifice.
Think about what these leaders have said about getting rich:
All riches, of whatever nature, begin as a state of mind.
Napoleon Hill, The Master Key to Riches
The key is not the mere pursuit of wealth, but changing your beliefs and attitudes about it.
Anthony Robbins, Awaken the Giant Within
You are the fruit of the thoughts you have planted and nourished. If you want a better harvest, you must plant better thoughts.
Mark Victor Hansen and Robert G. Allen, The One Minute Millionaire
The way each of us thinks and feels about our money is the key factor in determining how much we ultimately have.
Suze Orman, The Courage to be Rich
Change a few ideas and you gain power over money, rather than allowing money to have power over you.
Robert Kiyosaki, Rich Kid Smart Kid
People become successful the minute they decide to be.
Harvey Mackay, Pushing the Envelope
To be ambitious for wealth and yet always expecting to be poor, to be forever doubting your ability to get what you long for, is like trying to reach east by traveling west.
Og Mandino, The Greatest Mystery in the World
Because they are consistent, often unconscious patterns, (habits) constantly, daily express our character and produce our effectiveness or ineffectiveness.
Stephen Covey, The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People
What you radiate outward in your thoughts, feelings, mental pictures and words, you attract into your life and daily affairs.
Catherine Ponder, The Dynamic Laws of Prosperity
When our self-instructions are negative, our achievements will be negative. On the other hand, when our self-instructions are positive, we will achieve much.
Tom Hopkins, The Official Guide to Success
The key to directing your life is the ability to know how to direct and manage your states.
Anthony Robbins, Unlimited Power
The only difference between those who have failed and those who have succeeded lies in their habits.
Og Mandino, The Greatest Salesman in the World
Success…is a matter of mental attitude.
W. Clement Stone, The Success System That Never Fails
Money comes from your ideas because money is just an idea.
Robert Kiyosaki, Rich Kid Smart Kid