Again and again I find myself telling my MBA students about how to present.
They tend to get everything wrong, every time, no matter how many times I tell them or ask them to learn.
Why? Well it’s probably because it’s very hard to “simplify” ideas and then present them in an easy to understand way, especially if you are very highly educated!
I find it very hard myself and I think it’s an art that people don’t spend enough time on or invest in…communicating clearly for almost all my MBAs is key to their final results and yet they leave it to the last minute, prepare badly, present badly and produce terrible materials…
So I am writing a quick post to set them on the straight and narrow once and for all and I hope this helps you too!
As they are all very busy I want to summarize my guru (Garr Reynolds) on the core things you need to know and then suggest you invest in his excellent book right away: Presentation Zen.
Organization & Preparation Tips
Top Ten Delivery Tips
Top Ten Slide Tips
Some sample slides
How to develop the right slide design by Guy Kawasaki
See my other posts on presenting and investor pitches:
- The Six Minute -No Slides- Angel Presentation
- Even more advice on presenting to investors…preparation is key
- Why startup pitches fail
- Top questions you may be asked during an investment presentation
- How to present to a VC to win
- The definitive guide on how to present to Angels (by angels)
- Key things you must do when presenting to win
Last 5 posts by admin
- Great post on what people don't like sharing: failure and survivors - July 31st, 2015
- YC video on fund raising that’s worth watching… - October 27th, 2014
- Awesome training session for startups…on YouTube - October 1st, 2014
- A true entrepreneur’s advice: “Go with Your Gut Feeling” - July 24th, 2014
- Awesome video from Vinod Khosla at Startup Grind - February 12th, 2014