While exits in the form of IPOs have been non-existent in recent months, and the number of startup acquisitions has slowed considerably, the effects of the current economic climate are only now beginning to impact the market for seed & early stage venture capital.
Basically, at least in the short term, the cost of capital is going up. Bill Gurley, Benchmark Capital, recently remarked that “In market downturns, frugality is not only a virtue, it could also make the difference between survival and failure”. Aspiring and veteran entrepreneurs alike need to understand what this means to them, in an environment where “differentiation will likely be defined not by aggressive, (capital driven growth), but rather by adaptability”.
WHEN: Thursday, December 4, 2008
6:00 – 7:00 pm: Networking and hors d’oeuvres
7:00 – 8:15 pm: Panel discussion and Q/A
8:15 – 8:30 pm: Additional networking
LOCATION: Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati (WSGR Campus), 950 Page Mill Road, Palo Alto, CA 94304
To help understand what this means to you, come meet with and hear leading venture investors in a lively exchange, when they explore trends and provide insights on the following critical questions:
· How can already funded startups not only survive but thrive, in this market?
· What do new startups need to look like to attract venture funding?
· What does this mean for valuations?
· What does this mean for exit options?
· What does this mean to the already shifting venture capital community?
· What does this mean for Silicon Valley – will it still be the world center of entrepreneurship & venture capital in the next decade?
· Bill Gurley, General Partner, Benchmark Capital
· Warren Packard, Managing Director, Draper Fisher Jurvetson
· John Steuart, Managing Director, Claremont Creek Ventures
Moderator: Phil Wickham, President & CEO, Kauffman Fellows Program
See Website for Speaker Bios.
Last 5 posts by admin
- Great post on what people don't like sharing: failure and survivors - July 31st, 2015
- YC video on fund raising that’s worth watching… - October 27th, 2014
- Awesome training session for startups…on YouTube - October 1st, 2014
- A true entrepreneur’s advice: “Go with Your Gut Feeling” - July 24th, 2014
- Awesome video from Vinod Khosla at Startup Grind - February 12th, 2014